I'm not hip enough to play Oxenfree, but somehow I did

Hey there, it's Menow.

I just beat Oxenfree on my Nintendo Switch. I don't think I meet whatever pre-determined coolness requirements exist to play it, but I somehow made it through.

Look how cool it is.

In case Oxenfree isn't on your radar - LOL PUNS - it's a pretty rad indie game developed and published by Night School Studio in 2016. Originally released for PC, Mac, and Xbox One, it made its Switch - as well as its iOS and Android - debut last year.

You navigate this game as Alex, a 17-year-old girl with (presumably natural) turquoise hair.

It is really challenging to find pics of this game that aren't spoilers. You're welcome.

Alex decides to go to this secluded island rager that apparently the junior class does every year, except this year most of the class is grounded. The only people who show up are Alex, her pot-smoking bffl, her brand new stepbrother she literally just met, her dead brother's ex-girlfriend, and her dead-brother's ex-girlfriend's best friend. Fun.

The majority of the game is just walking around with a various combination of the kids listed above, deciding whether Alex should be optimistic, kinda rude, or an existential ball of angst.

All of the good examples of my previous comparison are spoilers. 

The rest of the game is you whipping out your handheld radio that you somehow know a lot about for some reason, and trying to tune it to whatever station makes sounds.

Yeah this... was annoying.

From there on, it's spoilers.

I've always been a fan of meandering, point-and-click type adventures. Oxenfree was certainly that. The character designs are cute and the scenery is beautiful. I liked it enough that I'm considering playing through it again to try and achieve "the best possible ending," as, yes, this game has multiple endings which depend on your dialogue choices throughout. My main criticism is that the map was too large for how slowly Alex travels. I'm borderline obsessive about collectibles, so I ended up spending a lot of time backtracking to pick up items.

Overall I'd say I enjoyed my time on the island, as the characters were decent and the plot was mostly interesting. The good parts are really good, and the rest of it is meh.

Comments