I tried the VOEZ Demo on Switch and iOS

Hey there, it's Menow.


I moderately like rhythm games, I fanatically like Nintendo Switch, and I consistently like anime garbage. Of course I downloaded this demo.

My first thought was, "Why is this phone game $30?" but I quickly realized there are in-app purchases on iOS and Android, so of course it's $30 for the whole game at once on the eShop.

Visually, it's very pretty. Much prettier than like the one other rhythm game I played four or five iPhone generations ago.


As far as my actual gameplay experience, it was kind of awkward. I wasn't sure how to hold the slightly-too-heavy Switch in my left hand comfortably while poising to tap, swipe, and press with my right. I figured there had to be a better way to do it, so I watched some videos of people playing the game and it looks like most players worth anything play two-handed, like this champion:



After a mediocre Switch experience, I downloaded the iOS version on my iPhone 7 Plus out of curiosity. I didn't find it much different; it was actually more difficult to play two-handed on the smaller screen, but still a bit too challenging to play with only my right hand.

I did, however, really enjoy the music and the anime high schoolers. Here's the title song:


I highly doubt I'll actually buy this game on Switch, but the demo wasn't a complete waste of time.

Comments